The Belle Haven Cottage
This three-story, “L” – shaped plan, stucco and cast stone Mediterranean Revival building was designed by Dwight James Baum as the Broadway or El Vernona Apartments. Today it is commonly known as the Belle Haven. The reinforced concrete and hollow-tile construction complex was built by Ricketts and Haworth, owned by the Burns Realty Company and opened for occupancy in March of 1926.
The site of the apartment complex overlooking Sarasota Bay, marked the northern gateway of the Broadway Development, which included the El Vernona Hotel (more commonly known as John Ringling Towers), the Burns Realty complex and the new headquarters of the Sarasota Times newspaper.